The edible and healing Queen Anne’s Lace is a member of the same family as the poisonous Hemlock and the plants look similar. You should always be sure of your identification before using a plant, but in this case the stakes are very high. We will go through the differences here to help you identify both plants.
Use Caution When Identifying Plants
Since all parts of water hemlock are poisonous, please use caution when handling the plant for identification and do not harvest any plant until it is definitively identified. I wear gloves when handling plants such as hemlock for identification or other purposes.
Contrary to some beliefs, hemlock does not produce a contact rash or irritation. The poison is active when ingested, but it can also be transferred from your hands to your mouth or eyes and can be absorbed through cuts or wounds. Even tiny amounts can be toxic.
Look at the Flowers
Both plants have white flowers that bloom in umbrella like clusters called an umbrel. The hemlock flower clusters are arranged flat across the top while the Queen Anne’s lace flowers have a more rounded or umbrella shape to the cluster.
One way to absolutely identify Queen
Originally posted on Ask A Prepper